LANDAUER takes off in 5 different labs
The LANDAUER Project (Operating ICT basic switches below the Landauer limit) started on Sept. 1st in five different laboratories across Europe.
- NIPS Laboratory, University of Perugia, Italy
- Technische Physik, Julius-Maximilians Universität Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany
- Physics of Information group, Instituto de telecomunicacoes, Lisbon, Portugal
- MED, Technische Universiteit Delft, Delft, Netherlands
- GHOST, University of Perugia, Italy
The scientific objective of the project is to test the fundamental limits in energy dissipation during the operation of physical switches representing the basic elements of logic gates. The technological objective of the project is to introduce new conceptual devices that, through novel computing paradigms with radically improved efficiency, are capable of trading the minimum amount of energy dissipated with the computational precision.